Students may fulfill the Entry Level Writing Requirement after entering UC Davis by passing the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) or passing one of the specified courses with a letter grade of C or higher. Some international or domestic multilingual students may be required to take the English Language Placement Exam (ELPE) prior to taking an ELWR-fulfilling course.
Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE)
After students have matriculated into UC Davis, they may take the Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE), which is typically offered on campus a couple of days before classes start. The AWPE may only be taken once. Students who took the statewide AWPE in May cannot take the exam again on campus.
Courses at UC Davis
The following courses will fulfill ELWR if taken for a letter grade and passed with a C or higher:
- UWP 007: 4 unit UCD course
- UWP 007m: 4 unit UCD course (An ELWR course for multilingual students; placement required via English Language Placement Exam. Students who have successfully completed UWP 23 cannot take UWP 007m for ELWR fulfillment.)
- A co-course, which must be taken at the same time as a lower division writing course:
- UWP 1A: 2 unit UCD course (while also enrolled in UWP 1)
- ENL 3A: 2 unit UCD course (while also enrolled in ENL 3)
- NAS 5A: 2 unit UCD course (while also enrolled in NAS 5). NAS 5A will only be offered Winter 2020.
- WLD 57: 4.5 non-credit bearing units Sacramento City College course. P sections are designated for EOP/first generation students.
- WR 39A: 4 unit UC Online course
NOTE: P/NP grade mode is not permitted if the course will be used for satisfaction of the ELWR. Students must take the course for a letter grade and receive a C or higher to fulfill ELWR.